Davis

Author: Sushrut /

Thanks to my internship, I am back to blogging!

This post mostly captures my first impression of the place where I will be spending my next 2 months and I am glad that it is so!

This situation is kind of a dream for me. I always wanted to be in a place which was exotic, away from home, beautiful, scenic and yet completely unknown to me. I always thought it would be great to just go around the place, figure things out all alone, be on my own for some time and live worry free. This is exactly what I am doing.

I am staying in a hotel, which by every means is a real hotel, with all plush amenities, breakfast and other servant-done things. The hotel has its own pool (not seen yet though) and is situated right in the downtown! I have a huge suit to myself, 2 TVs with all possible programs, internet and what not. After staying with flat-mates and cooking on my own for most of the last 2 years, this surely is a great respite.. but that's just a small part of the deal.

I get to stay in this place, which is outstanding in many aspects. May it be the downtown and classy restaurants, or may it be the bike paths, or the university campus and students or may it be the old-feel buildings or may it be the crisp air. I don't know but this town has a great feel and I am absolutely loving it.

As of now I do not know a single person in Davis (I am here 3 days). Absolutely no one! But still I am in no discomfort at all.

I have the best vehicle one could have in Davis - a bike - (more in a separate post) and I am living a life of a tourist! Like the one in Lonely Planet! I go to a new eatery/hotel every time to eat, think of a country every evening and search that cuisine. Many times it is somewhere next to my hotel and I end up strolling over. Not only I get interesting food, I get to know more about the town and people too. Its such a laid back, friendly community that almost feels untrue. Yet it by no means is sloppy or sluggish. The town is super clean, buzzing with students (undergrads) even in summer, has friendly people all over and is very safe to wander even at 1 am!

I hope I will be able to know some more people here, get to go to all the different eating places :D and also manage some good research while I am here!

3 comments:

Sukanti said...

neat!
i wish life was all about tourism...we should be just tourist all the time! I am very much interested in all the cuisines you try out...

Congrats for internship... Where is this?
~Sukanti

Madhura said...

great to read your post Sushrut!! :)
Reminds me of my first few days in San Diego. I know neither of us are loners, but isn't it a great feeling to be for once in a completely unknown town where you know absolutely no one!!! :) Enjoy!

Sushrut said...

Sukanti: Thats what exactly is my next post. Intern is with a company making machine tools and Davis is just about 70 miles from berkeley. thanks for ur wishes.

Madhura: YUP!! its really a great feeling, and I do enjoy it. Even the cooking, its way hard to cook (and not waste) food for just a single person, specially in USA where every business tries to be a "COSTCO" of some sort.

Post a Comment