Week 3

Author: Sushrut /

Due to voluminous amount of work that I have been doing this whole summer, I cant just find right time and mood combo to blog as often.

My third week of teaching was exactly that. Important topic of geometry and students are not really motivated. I dont know why they want me to include geometry in algebra but anyway. I am interested in geometry a lot so its not a pain for me, but it is, for some like, Kim, Fran and co.
Interestingly enough, I find Nora improved a lot, so also Eina and Jenny a bit.

They gave me this beautiful bracelet saying THXS SUSHRUT :) and it was a good feeling. Teaching them geometry is not fun though, since it is not the subject they know a lot about, or want to.

I also reaslised after teaching them about SIN COS TAN that since these are school going children, they need to be taught the way they are used to. They only understand SOHCAHTOA but not Sin is Opp by Hyp. Cindy was good at it.

Then on the 12th day, was their midterm and wow. They took it seriously and I am glad about that. They dont seem to be all that ill prepared either. I had to rush half way through to the MOST INTERESTING travel itinerarires till date to MD but anyway, they made a good attempt.

I realise that they are good at things they know well and at times they do well when they see unseen or different problems. They dont get scared or panicked too. Just that they JUST CAN NOT make out a tricky question. Harder questions have to be HARD for them and if they find a trick to solve a said HARD question in lesser time, they think they are wrong and they invent ways to make it harder!!!

Week 4 began yesterday and surprisingly I ran out of matter (my perenial fear) yesterday.. almost. I need to see how I can make things interesting to them when it comes to polynomials.

I can see people into 2-3 categories now. Francisco has improved a lot and more importantly WANTS to improve. Kim not so. Jenny too tries a lot less harder than she used to but is doing OK. Nora has improved a lot, Kashira does well at times but like Erik, sometimes makes surprising bloops. Things going fine, I dont know if Phillip et. al. are happy with my work, but I think the students are and I think that should matter more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment